• Where is AfterHours Veterinary Care?
  • What are your Fees?
  • What is an Emergency?
  • Should My Pet be Seen?
  • My pet ate something he/she shouldn't have. What types of things should I be worried about? What can I do?
  • What kinds of things are toxic or poisonous for my pet?
  • How can I tell if my pet is in pain?

Where is AfterHours Veterinary Care?

Afterhours Veterinary Care is located at 1014 Dale Street N in St. Paul, MN. We currently share a facility with Como Park Animal Hospital. Click here for a map and directions

What are your Fees?

The examination fee for all AHVC patients is $125.

This is the same on weekends, overnights, and holidays, and is the same whether you have a cat or dog or an exotic pet.

This exam fee does not include any diagnostics, treatments or medications beyond the physical examination and veterinarian's assessment.

All fees are due that the time of service. Estimates of cost can be provided following a veterinarian examination.

Click here for payment policies.

What is an Emergency?

Click here to see list of common emergency conditions and what to do.

Should My Pet be Seen?

Any health problem, if left untreated, can quickly progress from minor to major. This is why we would recommend seeking veterinary intervention when you first notice any signs or symptoms that are concerning to you. Commonly concerns are seldom a ‘life threatening event’ but rather having the familiarity with your pet to know that they are uncomfortable.

Common Conditions seen by Urgent Care (NOT all inclusive):

  • Cuts, bleeding or lacerations
  • Injured/torn toenail
  • Fight or bite wounds/injuries
  • Ear injury or infection
  • Eye injury or infection
  • Urinary infections
  • Skin infections
  • General malaise or lethargy
  • Sports injuries
  • Limping or lameness
  • Stomach upset: including inappetance, vomiting and/or diarrhea
  • Increased body temperature (Canine and Feline over 103F, please call for other species)
  • Change in attitude or alertness
  • Ingestion of unapproved or unknown substance or objects

Emergency Situations (NOT all inclusive):

  • Difficulty breathing
  • Pale, white, or grey gum color 
  • Uncontrolled or excessive bleeding
  • Prolonged or uncontrolled seizure activity
  • Significant blunt force trauma (i.e. hit by car or animal fight)
  • Ingestion of toxic substances (xylitol, antifreeze, cocoa mulch, Tylenol, ibuprofen, etc.)
  • Inability/ excessive straining to urinate or defecate
  • Facial swelling and/or hives
  • Staggering or loss of balance/coordination
  • Bloated or distended painful abdomen
  • Uncontrolled vomiting and/or diarrhea
  • Sudden loss of vision or changes in awareness
  • Uncontrolled and/or debilitating pain CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT WHAT TO DO IN AN EMERGENCY

AfterHours Veterinary Care is proud to help with you with all types of pet healthcare, whether it’s emergency, urgent care, or preventative care (through our unique partnership with Como Park Animal Hospital).

My pet ate something he/she shouldn’t have. What types of things should I be worried about? What can I do?

Our pets eat all kinds of things, including things they shouldn’t. When in doubt, always consult with a veterinary professional. Please keep the packaging, and bring it in with you if you bring your pet for treatment.
It is NOT always appropriate to make your pet vomit. Some substances can injure your pet or you if they are vomited up. Please consult a veterinarian before treating or inducing vomiting at home.

Risks associated with ingestion of foreign objects and substances include:

  • Choking
  • Blockage of or Injury to the GI tract (throat, stomach, intestines, colon)
  • Bleeding
  • Poisoning – illness, seizures, bleeding, organ failure, brain damage, death
  • Infection
  • Parasites

What kinds of things are toxic or poisonous for my pet?

This is list does not include all potential toxins to your pet. If your pet ate something besides his or her normal food or treats, please consult with a veterinary professional about potential risks and treatments. Click here for a link to Pet Poison Control for more information.

If your pet eats something on the list below, please call immediately!

  • Rodent Poison (rat, mouse, gopher, etc)
  • Pesticicides
  • Fertilizers
  • Some artificial sweeteners – Xylitol
  • Human medications – cold medicines, cough syrups, NSAIDS (Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Aleve), narcotics, heart medications, antidepressents & more
  • Chocolate
  • Cocoa Mulch
  • Household Chemicals
  • Lead & Mercury
  • Lilies
  • Any illegal drug

How can I tell if my pet is in pain?

Signs of pain can sometimes be difficult to pinpoint. Your pet can’t tell you how much or where it hurts. Pain is not normal. If you are unsure, a physical examination and assessment by a veterinarian is the best way to determine if and how badly your pet is in pain. DO NOT treat pain on your own – some pain medicines can be toxic in any dose to certain animals – always consult with a veterinarian before starting, stopping or changing a pain management treatment.

You know your pet best. If you think he/she is painful or uncomfortable, you are probably right. In general, if your pet is not behaving normally or is not responding to you or pleasant stimuli normally, then something may be wrong or he/she may be painful.

Click here for more information on signs of pain in dogs and cats


Find us on the map

Urgent Care Hours

DVM & Care Team on site 24 Hours a Day. Phones Answered 24 Hours a Day.


Open 24 Hours


Open 24 Hours


Open 24 Hours


Open 24 Hours


Open 24 Hours


Open 24 Hours


Open 24 Hours


Read What Our Clients Say

  • "Testimonials Coming Soon!"